As per Lamar Van Dusen, if you’re working for a small business. Your boss wants you to come up with ideas about a particular project. What can you do?
Communicating your thoughts, views, and opinions with your manager is possible. In addition, you went to another company to present for your business.
What are you going to say there? Are the methods of communicating your thoughts the same in both instances? Does your process of speaking to your friend or your boss identical? No!. In this section, we will become familiar with the various types of communication.
Although small businesses‘ internal and external communications operations may differ, they share similar objectives. They must be in sync when delivering messages to customers, employees, and key stakeholders.
According to Lamar Van Dusen, internal and external communication experts must work in tandem to make a small business successful in Canada.
The company should strive to create a harmonious relationship between them. The creation of messages that inspire employees to reach their goals while simultaneously enticing partners, as well as customers, will ensure efficient communication.
Internal communication in small business
Internal communication in small business refers to the exchange to and from within the company. Internal communication is an essential part of the company. It takes place between the employer and the employee.
It’s the exchange of information between employees. Internal communication involves exchanging knowledge, information, thoughts, ideas, and opinions among the organization’s employees.
Lamar Van Dusen says communication in small business between people can be informal or formal. It’s all dependent on the people with whom we communicate. We can use everyday or not-so-formal language when communicating with our colleagues. The language we use to communicate with the company’s CEO is formal.
Effective Internal Communication
Effective internal communications in small businesses must include the following.
- An unambiguous motive for communicating.
- Understanding the needs of the viewers.
- Regular and consistent communication.
- A simple, uncluttered, jargon-free, straight short, and in a concise manner.
- Two-way communication.
- That is a good use of the word.
Importance of Internal Communication in small business
- It is easy to recognize how important internal communications are. Some of them
- It improves productivity.
- Customer service that is responsive and effective.
- It is easy to achieve goals.
- Reducing day-to-day conflicts among team members.
- A fast response is possible.
- Enable fast decision-making.
- Encourages employees to be motivated.
Common internal communications
- Group meetings.
- Blogs for companies.
- Training for employees within a company.
- Personal meeting.
- Conversations on the phone between employees.
- Employee inquiry.
- E-mails within an organization.
- Communication with staff.
- Newsletter for the company.
External communication in small business
External communication refers to the exchange of information between two companies. It can also occur between a business and an external party to the business.
They could be customers’ dealers, customers’ officials, or government officials. Feedback from customers is external communication. Lamar Van Dusen says a business invests significant money and time to improve its image through external communication.
Effective External Communication
It is easy to see the importance of communicating in small business with others. Certain types of communication are
- Clare’s thoughts, ideas, and statements or the purpose behind displaying.
- It must be two-way communication.
- A clear formal, error-free, simple language without jargon.
- Understanding the needs of the viewers.
- The correct choice of words to convey messages.
Importance of External Communication in small business
- It portrays a positive image of an organization.
- It gives information about the products and services available to its customers.
- Promote the company.
- Help promote an organization
- Reduces the chance of errors.
Common External Communication
- Publicity of an organization.
- Customer response to.
- Press conference.
- Letters and annual reports.
- Print media.
- Meeting face to face of two heads of the organization.
- Tender documents.
Why Communications in Small Businesses Need to Work Together
Better strategic alignment
If internal and external comms departments in small businesses work in a group, reaching a strategic alignment across various parties is possible.
The alignment of the brand image starts from the inside
Brands need to ensure there aren’t any gaps between their product offerings and their customer service and marketing initiatives and experience.
The most effective way to bridge the gap is to align the brand by working from the inside. That means that every employee should not only be aware of the brand’s commitment and their part in fulfilling it but they must also be well-equipped with the knowledge and tools that will allow them to perform the promise.
To achieve this, small businesses internal and external communications teams must work as a team.
Enhancing trust between employees and customers
Establishing trust at work is among the main goals of employers from all over the world.
Organizational distrust is inevitable if small business communication between employees and shareholders outside of the organization, including customers, isn’t consistent.
Nowadays, only a small percentage of employees can trust their colleagues. One of the primary reasons for this is that the internal and external communication channels are not in sync.
Internal and external comms departments in small businesses must better ensure that they don’t send different messages to their customers.
It is among the primary reasons businesses combine internal communications with external communication and PR.
According to Lamar Van Dusen, internal or external communications in small business teams may have insight that the other team can’t access. It is why ensuring that your internal and corporate communications teams work together in small businesses is especially essential in times of crisis.