In many ways, living in a small space can be challenging. We have limited space in which to do our work and store our belongings, so organization and storage are key. Also, it can be difficult to light a small apartment properly.
According to the best Orillia renovations experts, Lighting planning is an important step to take before making any changes in a home. In small apartments, its importance is even more pronounced.
We must consider the following before we can decide on how to light a small apartment:
- What type of lighting is in our house? The main problem with small apartments and flats is that there are very few exterior windows that allow natural light.
- There are rooms available. The room lighting plays a major role. The lighting will be different in a small open area compared to a space with partitions and separate rooms.
- Work possibilities. If we are doing a project for lighting, we can incorporate small changes that will allow us to gain more light.
Each room in the home requires different lighting depending on the use of the space and the activities that we perform in it. This principle applies to homes of any size.
What kind of light should I use?
To determine the best way to light up a small apartment we need to evaluate the various types of lighting available:
This warm light tone is a reddish hue similar to the one emitted by lighted candles. This tone is sufficient for passages (corridors) and bedrooms.
highlights colors and brightness and is suitable for rooms with high activity. This versatile light is ideal for bathrooms, amongst other places.
This light is bright and can be used to highlight decorative elements or paintings, or in cold areas such as warehouses, storage rooms, businesses, etc.
7 tips to light up a small apartment:
- Make the most of natural light. Use curtains in light colors and fabrics if you have windows on the exterior.
- Install indirect and recessed lighting such as spotlights on the floor, ceiling, or lower part of the walls. These fountains are a great way to create an airy, spacious feeling. They also create a nice atmosphere because they don’t cast any shadows.
- Each space has a different light. Each room should have its light. In the dining area, where you will relax and watch TV, choose indirect, warm light.
- It is best to light at least three corners of each room to avoid shadows.
- Aim the light beam at the ceiling. This trick makes the room appear larger. It is enough to point the wall and lamp lights upwards.
- Simple design lamps. Simple lamps will help you to brighten up a small space.
- Light furniture, walls, and floors. The light colors will reflect the light and make any room brighter. This is especially important in small apartments.
As always, when making a change, it is important to think collectively. The best way to illuminate a small apartment is to consider the entire area to select the best table, floor, and spotlights.
We’d love to help you to renovate your home. Contact us. The Renovators of Canada provides kitchen renovation, basement renovation, and bathroom renovations in Greater Toronto Area (GTA).